ACTED is an international non-governmental organization created in 1993. Independent, private and not-for-profit, ACTED is looking for a professionally confident, self-motivated, experienced and committed team player to fill the following vacant position. The project “Recovering and Rehabilitating Livelihoods: Building the Resilience of Communities Affected by Typhoon Haiyan in the Philippines through Sustainable Income” is a 2 year livelihoods and market development project implemented jointly by Alliance2015 (www.alliance2015.org) partners ACTED, PIN and HELVETAS Swiss Intercooperation. Through a pro-poor market-based approach framed on the Making Markets Work for the Poor (M4P) approach, the project aims to support Typhoon Haiyan affected households in Eastern Samar to sustainably restore their livelihoods through increased production, productivity and marketability of agricultural products and access to suitable financial services. ACTED is responsible for project implementation in 6 municipalities in Eastern Samar: Lawaan, Balangiga, Quinapondan, Giporlos, General McArthur and Hernani, where already existent high levels of poverty were exacerbated by Typhoon impacts.
Agriculture Technical Officer– Base: Guiuan/Giporlos, Eastern Samar, Philippines – 1 Positions (specialized in both crops production and livestock) - Duration: Immediately – November 2016
The Agriculture Technical Officer is responsible for implementation of the agriculture component of a complex livelihood & market development project under the direct supervision of the Project Manager and in coordination with other technical staff, project team, partners, local government and other agencies operating in the agriculture sub-sector.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
· Provide expertise-scientific, technical and practical information to all areas related to agriculture;
· Develop, design and/or peer review training materials for target beneficiaries (e.g. lead farmers, Barangay Agricultural Committees), and field staffs, subsequently propose relevant adjustments and improvements;
· Conduct in-house and on-the-field training for beneficiaries and stakeholders in agriculture techniques & practices;
· Contribute to building partnership with all relevant stakeholders and target groups (e.g. Department of Agriculture);
· Writing or translating advisory leaflets, technical notes, and contributing to press releases and articles;
· Identify and propose innovative approaches towards planting/cultivation/processing of agriculture crops, horticulture and livestock management;
· Measuring performance and analysing agricultural data such as crop yields;
· Attending meetings, organising seminars, classes, farm demonstrations and group sessions;
· Preparing of request for required project agricultural materials with consideration of the technical aspects and participate in procurement process and quality control of the agricultural materials;
· Design and conduct agricultural project feasibility studies or pilot trials; Collect and assess field data and assist M&E unit in developing of technical questions for baseline and periodic surveys;
· In cooperation with project staff (based on market assessment), identify alternative and feasible crops/livestock suitable for the target area and with high market potential and related agriculture technologies and practices;
· Provide technical follow up and monitoring of the agricultural components of the project in all 6 target municipalities and give necessary feedback for smooth implementation;
· Provide inputs to or participate in activities aimed at linking local farmers with regional/national level agribusinesses and other private sector companies/ traders;
· Perform any other responsibility as assigned by the Project/Programme Manager.
· Master’s Degree in Agriculture, preferably with specialisation in crop or animal production;
· At least 4 years relevant experience focused in the management/ advisory position of development programmes involving agriculture, natural resource management, community mobilization and training;
· Demonstrated experience in working with small farmers, farmers’ organizations, agri-businesses, local authorities;
· Experience in conducting feasibility studies (e.g. Agro-Ecosystem Analysis);
· Familiarity with conservation agriculture and agroforestry;
· Familiarity with coconut based farming system and value chain enhancement is a significant advantage;
· Excellent capacity building/training skills/ pedagogy; Strong analytical and planning skills;
· Flexibility, enthusiasm and willingness to learn and adapt within dynamic and often self-directed working environment;
· Ability and willingness to travel to the field extensively; Knowledge of the geographical area is an advantage;
· Excellent written and spoken English and Waray-Waray.
· Contract period: Immediately – November 2016, renewable based on funding and performance;
· Salary/benefits: According to ACTED’s salary grid and HR Policy;
· Responsible and independent working position;
· Background of a well-established organization.
Salary/benefits: According to ACTED’s salary grid and HR Policy/Responsible and independent working position/Background of a well-established organization
ACTED I Act for change I Invest in potential
US Navy Rd., Brgy. Lupok., Guiuan, Eastern Samar, PHILIPPINES
Cell +63 (0) 9153912248 I skype: anthonyogaya1988